Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Trouble with Finding Your Passion...



Hello Bloggie Friends,

First of all, it has been an astonishing first two weeks of business at my Etsy shop, The French Laundry.  YAY!  Sooooooo good for my psyche and good for my soul.  This being said, I must comment on the dangers of finding your passion, living your bliss, and selling only that which you would love to have in your own home (my words from my Etsy shop "mission statement" if you will).  I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE IT IN MY OWN HOME.  This means, each and every time, each and every purchase I make for the shop, I have to go through what I am embarrassed to admit is a somewhat GUT-WRENCHING-prying-this-stuff-out-of-my-chubby-little-hands-you-bought-it-to-sell-it little disco dance.  Really?  It's stuff.  Stuff I don't need cause I've already got plenty of my own stuff thank you very much.  Sigh...but it's SO pretty.  And when it is in piles, waiting to be photographed and described, it makes such a beautiful mess.  Yes, it does.  Mr. French Laundry, in this case, your opinion does not count.  You call it my piles, I call it a beautiful mess.  Half empty, half full...who is the happier one here, huh?  HUH?  Can you tell I'm having a bit of a dilemma?  I visited with a dear friend of mine one afternoon this past week (yes Sharon, I'm talking about you), and we commented on what kindred spirits we are.  We absolutely love the same things and her "work room" is a room I could enter, shut the door, and stay in for DAYS just looking and marveling at all of the beauty just piled up around me.  I kid you not, it is THAT good.  Maybe one of these days I'll do a photo shoot of her pretty piles.  But seriously, she can buy something amazing and turn right around and sell it, just like that, no fuss, no muss.  But not me.  No, I have to love on it for a while.  Put it somewhere and gaze upon it for a bit until I feel I've absorbed it's beauty and can let it go to a new home (some things have to marinate longer than others, I must admit).  That's just how I roll I guess.  But, once I let something go, I have to say, I've never actually had any regrets.  In fact, I can't say I've ever missed a thing.  Oh well, worse problems to have for sure.


I made this powder box out of old materials, even the box itself.


More from the beautiful mess pile.  Swoon...

I added a couple more vintage wallpapers to my wallpaper store on my blog sidebar.  Here's a peek at them:

1940's liles on soft green and white background

1940-50 Sears Harmony House floral clusters on neutral taupe background

I have also been adding new items to Elegant Farmhouse like this pretty Edwardian Motto Pillow:


Well, it is getting late and my laundry basket calls.  Hate that...

Until next time,
Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. Hello!
    I completely understand your sentiments. I've discussed it with my mum many times before when we have fantasized about having a little shop of our own - we both agree that we would find it difficult to sell pretty things to other people :) I bought your beautiful tambour lace doily for my mum's birthday next week. Can't wait to see it! Thankyou for sharing your beautiful things! Take care!
    Jennelise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy, what a beautiful post, I think it is sooo true what you say :)
    I love your powder box and I can`t wait to receive your lovely wallpaper !!
    Have a great week.

    Hugs Mieke xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is me! My husband jokes about me "playing with lace" and how I could stare at a beloved piece so long... I like that I am so easily amused :) Love your blog and both of your shops are lovely.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew your new shop would do well!!
    I too love to gather and gaze at pretty treasures and yes, it is hard to let go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could have written this Post myself because I have the exact same Mission Statement and dilemma since I only 'Pick' what I Love and would own myself when I'm Sourcing for my Showroom at the Antique Mall. And yes, I often have to Love on it for a while before I can break up with it emotionally and let it have a relationship with someone else! *Winks* The Letting Go process is getting easier for me, but I'm still a work in progress. I just bought an Awesome Huge Framed Needlepoint with the sole intention of flipping it in my Showroom... only its now hanging in a Storage Cottage on my Property that I'm clearing out for a Re-Do into a Studio Space. Lord knows how long it will Grace the walls there before it FINALLY makes it to the Showroom to be Sold?! *LOL* But... like you, when I'm done with something, I'm completely done with it and so it can move on... so technically we're not Hoarders then, right? *LOL* So Glad your Etsy Shop is doing so well!

    Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been thinking of opening up an Etsy shop myself, but that's been my dilemma: how can I give up these treasures that I love? Hopefully, when I finally do open it, I'll be able to let go easily.

    Glad to know that your shop is doing well. You have such beautiful things there. I think I need to go shopping . . .

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will take your advice to heart, as I am a hoarder by nature. I love all those pretty piles of stuff, ... But it is just stuff.
    (I guess) But that perfume bottle....Gorgeous!!! Now I'd have trouble letting THAT go!!! LOL
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading your comments.