Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Guest Post~French Nordic Design



Hi Bloggie Friends,

Today's feature is a guest post from Mari at Design Shuffle.  She is going to discuss one of my favorite looks, the French Nordic style.  Thanks to Jeanne d'Arc Living and other similar publications, this style is hot, hot, hot.  I can't seem to get enough of it, and I know many of you feel the same.  So, enjoy this little bit of eye candy today.  Take it away Mari...

Hello, everyone! It's Mari here from Design Shuffle, a fabulous online portal for interior designers and all things interior design. One of the things I love best about writing guest posts for Design Shuffle is getting to visit amazing design and decorating blogs like French Laundry to share some of my favorite decorating ideas.

Today's post is about the beautiful French Nordic look—part French style, part Nordic appeal and all white and gray loveliness. When it comes to this charming style, there is no such thing as just a touch is enough—once one is smitten, there is no turning back. Each and every space in the home must be decorated in the desirable French Nordic style—an exciting never ending adventure. Here's a glimpse into the world of the French Nordic look. We hope you will enjoy these eight inspiring images.
French Nordic
This lovely vignette is brought to us Jeanne d'Arc Living, the magazine that showcases all things French Nordic. On every issue are the words, "Lifestyle in a Class of its Own."
French Nordic
An appealing corner is filled with furnishings and decorative pieces that might be chosen for a French Nordic space.
French Nordic
With clawfoot tub and vintage fixtures along with lovely words of French, this bath is perfect for the French Nordic home.
French Nordic
When going for a bedroom design in the French Nordic style, consider a lovely combination of pure white linens mixed with grays, taupes and greiges.
French Nordic
Here's another space from Jeanne d'Arc Living—an appealing mix of white slipcovers and rustic textiles. You probably have noticed that angels' wings are often seen in French Nordic rooms.
French Nordic
This photo is full of dining room design ideas. It is a slightly Americanized version of Nordic French style with the quintessential black and white sign in English not French. I love the soft cotton slipcovers on the dining chairs.
French Nordic
Live plants, such as vines and topiaries are often seen in French Nordic rooms. Antique mirrors and distressed shutters add an appealing aged feel to this corner vignette.

This light and airy dining space is all about the French Nordic look in interior design, from the white painted floor to the restrained size of the crystal and iron chandelier. Images 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Love French Nordic design? You'll find more inspiration at Design Shuffle! Connect with some of the top Los Angeles interior designers, San Diego interior designers and many others!

Thanks Mari!  As I have said before on my blog, my style is a little fussier and far more cluttered than the traditional JDL look, but I still enjoy incorporating elements of that style into my decor.  Zinc (or faux zinc) is a must have in this look and there are many ways to pull it into your interior.  The beautiful French zinc plant pots are great, but a bit pricey.  If they aren't affordable, try a new metal container and give it a faux zinc finish (yes, I do still need to do that tutorial-note to self).  I found this cutie pie at Goodwill for $1 or so, gave it the finish I wanted, then added a faux enamel tag tied on with twine.  You can find the tutorial for the tags here.



Simplicity really is the key with this look...a pretty paper doily, a page from an antique book, one of my faux zinc crosses with torn muslin bow, stuck on the wall with a push pin; what could be easier?


Of course,  part of the serene beauty of this look is the incorporation of some religious elements, if that is your desire. 



Even if your decor is less rustic, you can still blend this look in.  Beautiful French mirrors look great when paired with some more primitive elements like this one from Atelier de Campagne.


I have the ubiquitous antique grain sack pillow and the white slipcovered couch in my living room as well as some pretty French tables, but as you can see in the rest of the photo, I also have other elements that aren't typically associated with the French Nordic look like the sort of fussy hand painted lamp and tole tray. Still, it works.  In other parts of my home, I have Victorian furniture that I inherited from my great aunt, an early American salt glazed crock collection from my days in New England, my slightly goofy Victorian hoof pincushion collection, and my husband's Native American drums.  Eclectic, oui?


Then there's the collection of 1940-60's rhinestone clocks (just a few represented here...).



Basically, if you are all about one particular style and you are able to achieve that, then I say go for it.  If, like most of us, you are forced by economics and sentiment to live with what you already have and make little modifications here and there as your tastes change or you add new "loves" , then always follow your heart.  I believe, as others have said as well, that if you live with what you love, no matter how disparate it may seem, it will somehow all come together to make a style that is truly your own.  I think if you are true to yourself, there will be some element, whether it is color or shape, texture or feeling, that will tie everything together and make it work.  So don't be afraid to mix it up! 

Don't forget to enter my Ram Sign giveaway ending March 31st.  Can't beat a great product for FREE, right?  Enter by leaving a comment on this previous post.


Until next time my friends,

Linking up with:
White Wednesday
Pearls and Lace Thursday
What's It Wednesday
French Inspiration Friday
Vintage Inspiration Friday
Pin It!

21 comments:

  1. Oh Judy...I just love everything you have shown today. Absolutely beautiful! Whites just take my breath away...love what you love!

    Thank you SOOO much for visiting me!

    xo~Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy a wonderful feature. I too like to incorporate the light French Nordic look with things I already love from over the years! Great images very inspiring!

    I hope you will come and see the feature I have on an amazing sculptor.

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena
    The 2012 Artist Series

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tons of beautiful images, and inspiration. I'm a zinc lover too, have been for a long time. Love the simplicity of your container.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooh so much I like here,but I think my very favourite are the little collection of gorgeous clocks.
    x jeanetteann

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is not to love here..So soft and pretty. Wish I could paint all my house white and cream with a spot of pink..That can never happen with a man who has spent hours staining all the woodwork! :(
    I love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Overwhelmingly beautiful!!! Love your white couch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great post! I love that style. And your zinc pot is lovely. What a find! I plan to make those enamel tags this weekend.

    have a good one
    MC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Judy!
    Wow, nice post! I'm now a fan! Now where am I going to find those zinc pots? A trip to Goodwill for a favorable pot and then a trip to Hobby Lobby for the faux zinc product! Love those pillows too... yummy!
    Thanks so much for joining me for Pearls and Lace Thursday!!! So nice to have you visit!
    Blessings, Doni

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Judy ~ love JDL and all that it inspires!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Judy, I love your clock collection - along with your white slip cover, pillows, and other accessories!! This is all wonderful - so much inspiration. Even a few elements would add so much beauty and fun to the home. I will book mark this post - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this post and everything related to the French Nordic style.

    I never did make it to the movies. My family went though and loved it! I started feeling bad last Thursday, then felt better and went to my Daughters volleyball tournament all day Sunday.....must have overdid it because Monday and Tuesday were spent mostly on the couch:-( Trying to take it easy today as well.

    Enjoy the rest of your break!!

    xoxo
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the best post I have seen in awhile!!!
    Very very inspiring just what I like!!!
    Visit my world too sometime!!!
    Oh and I love love all the religious pics!!!
    Blessings Lori

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so fantastic beautiful photos. LOVE

    Hugs Bente

    ReplyDelete
  14. Judy, this is wonderful! I agree- adding those little touches to make your home uniquely yours. Great ideas here and I love the standing mirror and tub! Enjoy your day :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. love your use of natural materials.. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Judy,
    evrything is so beautiful and inspiring! Love this style and it's done here to perfection! How cool is that, finding your pail at the goodwill, you just never know what little treasure you'll come back with from there! Thanks so much for visiting and the sweet comment!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved, loved, loved this post!! This style is so gorgeous and feminine and romantic. Thanks so much for sharing and inspiring us all!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great post! All of the photos are gorgeous, I would never get out of bed if mine looked like that! I think you are right, although I love the french nordic style,I can't afford to change everything in my home so it's a mix of a couple different styles, that works for us for now. your rhinestone clocks would be a keeper no matter what style i had :)
    t.xoxoox

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so pretty. I just received the Spring Issue! Can't wait to have a bubble bath and enjoy the beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Judy,
    Thanks for stopping by and adding your kind comments. Isn't it neat that we share a love of vintage rhinestone clocks? I came right over to check yours out. Can never have too many, right?
    Blessings & hugs,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello,
    I just dropped in.
    I love the photos you have here.
    What a lovely blog.


    Thank you.
    Anita Spero Design

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading your comments.