Saturday, September 1, 2012

August in Review...

Hello my dear friends,

So I'll bet you are wondering just where has this French Laundry chick been?  August is kaput!  She posted ONCE.  What happened?  Well, for starters, we went on vacation...see if you can guess where???


Nope, not the beach...but it is the tallest sand dune in North America.  And it is right here in the state of Colorado.  The Great Sand Dunes National Park was one of our stops on a week long grand tour of southwestern Colorado. 


The kids loved it...nothing better than running full speed and jumping off of the huge dunes.


We did some hiking at some beautiful places like Maroon Bells outside of Aspen.


And Lost Lake in the Grand Mesa National Forest...check out that aqua water!  It really was that color.

 

The pups came along and did pretty darn good.  Momma Bella...


And even Diego, aka Little Bit...who in their right minds travels with a 12 week old puppy?  Seriously, who?  We OBVIOUSLY are not in our right minds!


I enjoyed getting reacquainted with our beautiful state.


Some of the many cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde National Park.  These amazing structures are over 1000 years old.


We visited Bishop's Castle.  It's an interesting story.  You can read about it here.  One man, working for over 40 years building his castle...


There's even a dragon.  He presides over the castle.


We came home for a few days and cleaned like fiends getting ready for my brothers' visit and then came the first day of school.  Could my boys be more excited?  Really?  Is it possible?



A couple of days after school started, the much anticipated visit of my brothers arrived.  My bros and their wives came down from Texas to celebrate my birthday.  I turned FIFTY.  50.  The big 5-0.  Began my 6th decade of life.  Over the hill.  SHREEK!!!


Despite the slightly disconcerting nature of the number, it was a WONDERFUL birthday.  We had a great dinner at a local Italian place.  My whole immediate family, my 2 brothers and their wives, and my BFF and her husband shared the day with me...I feel so blessed.


We did a lot of this in the couple of days the siblings were here...


We took in the local sights such as Garden of the Gods, one of my favorite places in Colorado Springs.


The uncles took pictures of the nephews...


We took pictures of each other...


Mr. FL reminded me of one of the many reasons I love him...


He loves our kiddos and I love him.


And a good time was had by all.  They returned to Texas and we enjoyed a second bloom of many of our flowers in our garden and enjoyed the cooler weather that almost always seems to come with the arrival of August.


And that, my dear friends, is where August went.  Time flies when you're having fun.  I hope to get back into the groove of posting and sharing with you some of the many ideas that are rattling around in my head.  I hope my U.S. friends have a lovely long weekend and the rest of you have a great normal weekend.  Enjoy the weather while it lasts...and look for beauty everywhere.  It is all around you.

Until next time,
A little older and hopefully, a little wiser.  LOL!

Pin It!

21 comments:

  1. Judy,
    What a fun vacation! Beautiful photos! Happy Birthday! I just celebrated a birthday too! Not fifty yet....but close!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy what a perfect family vacation and get together!

    Happy 50th Birthday; the best is yet to come!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colorado has so many wonderful places! Thanks for sharing all the sites! And Happy Birthday!♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, Judy dear, I HAD wondered where you were! Looks like a great month, Happy Birthday, my friend!! Love seeing your family and travels!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting all the great photos. I sure didn't know about all the sand in Colorado.Smiles, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday! I turned the big 5..0 a few years ago.. Providing we are healthy .. it's a wonderful time and isn't this when we are supposed to celebrate that female goddess thing?! :)

    Looks like a wonderful trip and love the family photos!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Happy Birthday" Judy! I just celebrated my 51 birthday. I enjoyed seeing your beautiful pictures.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Judy- It sounds like you had a wonderful month- I was going to guess Sahara Desert when I saw that first picture!;>) Happy birthday to you- You will LOVE your 50's. I am a decade ahead of you and I LOVED my 50's. It is a wonderful time of life. What fun to see the backpack kiddos all ready fr school. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, are your images beautiful! Happy Belated Birthday! You had a fabulous time, your description is amazing. Friends and family, there is nothing like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Belated Birthday!!!! I can't believe you were so close! I see you wentto the great Sand Dunes, Bishops Castle, etc.!!!! We live in Walsenburg just off I25 in the SE corner of the state!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pictures and thank you for sharing them. Have a nice day.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoy your day !
    Best regards from Paris,

    Pierre

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Judy!
    What fun it looks like you had touring around our beautiful state. I loved seeing all of your photos. It was fun to see your whole family, too. Where did August go? I am glad to be getting back into the swing of things with the kids back in school. Maybe one of these days we can finally meet up! Happy birthday to you! I had one in August, too. :)

    ~Shanon

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy belated birthday to you! You live in a beautiful state, I have visited some of those places so I know what they look like. Our birthdays must be close, mine was in late August and I am pleased to be spending it in northern Wyoming.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy belated birthday to you Judy!! 50 isn't so bad really- I turned 51 this year and think I am finally just being comfortable with who I am!

    Do you live in the Springs? and do you have a shop? I am picking up a blogger friend from the airport in October- Ceekay from Thinkin of Home. Thought it might be fun to come by your shop and meet you in person!

    bee blessed
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Belated 50th Birthday! Judy,

    Hey! you're only as young as you feel. So, you feel like 40 right? 30? :oD Love all the places you visited. Looks like everyone had a fabulous time. The smiles say it all!

    Thanks! for sharing the lovely photos & post. Have a great week!

    Blessings & Hugs,
    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, wow! It looks like you and your family had quite a fun summer! Thank you for posting, and it's good to have you back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. welcome back!! i am on blog vacation too...
    what wonderful pictures...looks so fun!!
    happy 50th...life begins at 50.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a new follower and am delighted to have found your blog!

    Belated Happy 50th... you look so great that I wouldn't have doubted it for a second if you had said it was your 40th.: )

    Wonderful vacation and birthday celebration pictures! The pic of you and your husband and sons in front of Lost Lake is so gorgeous that it almost looks Photoshopped (the scenery--not you and your family!)!

    Good luck getting back into the swing of things!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds lke an absolutely lovely time! We forgive you for not blogging, but if yo throw us a bone every couple weeks...tee hee!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have complete Dune envy and I love all of the other pics, what a great summer, Maureen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading your comments.