Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Random Musings on White Wednesday




Yep...playing with the mantel again.  Our beautiful Snowball bush is in full bloom and how could I resist clipping a couple of branches off and plopping them into my vintage white matte urn?  I couldn't, DUH!  They almost remind me of little hydrangeas, they are so pretty.  We don't really grow hydrangeas here in Colorado; our soil is too alkaline and we're at such a high altitude (over 6,000 feet) and low humidity that they just can't thrive.  For a while, we had a couple of hydrangeas in our yard.  We planted them near the Colorado Blue Spruce to take advantage of the acidity created by the spruce, but they got all of about a foot tall.  I guess it just wasn't meant to be.  Anyway, back to the pretty white Snowball bush...


As you may have noticed underneath my urn, I like to use pretty old books as elevators.  This little grouping is one of my favorites so far.  The one on the bottom was a recent ARC find as well.  I was all yippie skippie over that because of the great color and the gold pizazz.  But I digress.


So forgive my randomness, but I thought I'd share a kind of lame attempt at a redo.  Miss Mustard Seed I ain't, but bear with me.  I got this cute little no big deal hanging wall basket at the ARC thrift store ($ .50, just the right price!).  I liked it, but I wanted to make it look like old wicker.


I did this concoction of water and walnut glaze.  I painted it on with a foam brush (which took absolutely forever).  It really didn't soak in since the basket wasn't actually old wicker, it took freakin' forever to put on because you had to really get it in all of the cracks and crevices, and oh, did I mention, it looked like CRAP?!  I didn't even take a picture of it because it was SOOOOOO bad.  So, I decided to try to pull it out with a coat of paint.  I watered down a concoction of grayish paint and put it over the awful walnut stain.  It isn't what I originally had in mind, but it is OK.  I had this really cool wide wired edge linen ribbon which I girded it up with and then I added some reasonably good fake lavender since my lavender is a LONG way from blooming.  I hung it on the door to my studio (yes, that's an outside door...my studio is over our detached garage, so it is in a separate building).



I think I like it.  Was it worth the effort?   Maybe the jury's still out on that one, but at least it is done.



So, after all of this randomness, you probably should pop over to visit Kathleen at Faded Charm for White Wednesday.  There's no doubt oodles of fun posts featuring our favorite color (or is that lack of color?  I think COLOR.)

Until next time,



Pin It!

22 comments:

  1. your basket took a lot of hard work but it turned out just lovely.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Judy, What a beautiful post! I've always been in love with viburnum...lucky you! Mine decided not to bloom this year. You create the most beautiful vignettes on your mantel and those books are wonderful! Your basket turned out great...don't think I would have had the patience...LOL!!
    Have a lovely W.W.!
    xo
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the basket looks great!
    I love wshen you are random!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful mantel arrangement. Do you line your vases first, before you put fresh flowers in, so as not to soil the interior?

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...LOVE how your basket turned out!
    ~ and the lovely white snowballs:)
    but
    my fav is the book covers on your vintage books!!
    xo, Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love your mantel Judy, from the creamy white mccoys to the snowball blossoms. I was just telling my hubby that I would like one of those in our yard, we had one when I was a kid and I just love them. The book covers are gorgeous and just the right touch. I think your basket turned out so sweet with the gray paint and wow lucky you to have a studio that is not attached to the house. That is my dream, shut the door on the mess that I always make!
    Happy WW! t. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judy it's gorgeous. The mantle, the basket too. I love the way the basket looks on your door. I have a pretty metal basket on my door, but they take a lot of refreshing. Yours is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The mantel is beautiful! I love your books and love it when I find some with pretty backings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do the most beautiful things with your mantel! This display is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your white vases, I'm slowly trying to aquire a small collection, you have some real beauties. I love those snowball's! I have one plant that gets too much shade...but they are so pretty. I think your wicker basket turned out great! And your mantle looks beautiful!!!
    Happy WW!
    Faye

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so fabulous, Judy! You have a great eye for design...I'm always impressed with your rooms.

    Visiting from White Wednesday - Hope you're having a great week.

    Hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Judy,

    Love your mantle, old books, and the snowball does look a lot like a hydrangea.
    Also you have done a great job with the basket, looks like you have had it for years now.

    Hope that you are enjoying your week
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Judy your Snowballs are beautiful. I love this plant but mine are still so little. I can't wait to get loads and loads of blooms from them. They look beautiful in the lovely urn.
    Don't you love pretty old books? I love to decorate with them.

    I wanted to thank you for blessing me with your lovely comment. It meant so much to me.
    sending hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your mantel is gorgeous with the white snowballs! I thought those were hydrangeas, when I first looked. Your basket with the lavender came out really pretty too.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I am your newest follower!

    xoxo
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful gorgeous books! I love your basket! I love to keep working at something until it looks "just right" too....often it's different than what I had imagined but sometimes much better! Hugs and Tweets!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi first time here and so happy I found your gorgeous blog! This post is amazing and so beautiful. Mantle is stunning and am in love with your old books and snowballs...it is truly picture perfect!! I am your newest follower!
    Please visit me too if you get a minute..would love you to stop by!
    www.theenchantedhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the snowballs, mine are also in full bloom right now. It looks like it is snowing on my yard with all of the wind we have had! I keep trying to grow the hydrangeas with no luck. One came back this year but is just barely starting to grow now so sounds like it will not flower because it is starting so late.
    The basket looks amazing with the flowers in it. I like how the colors complement each other.

    ~Shanon

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful job on the basket! I love it.

    XOXO,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those books...and by Ruskin, too! Gorgeous colors.
    Thought I'd let you know, Judy, that those high numbers that are only on the stats from your dashboard and not on sitemeter are called referrer spam. Don't click on to them even though they look like they're from a blog you trust. Something to do with computer code from unwanted sites. It has nothing to do with the blogs you read. Blogger Help has info about it. Hope that helps.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  20. Everything is looking gorgeous, I really like the patina on the darker cream vintage frames and the designs and colors of the old books! Thanks for stopping by to say hi, XO Christie

    ReplyDelete
  21. I want a snowball bush that has big flowers like yours. I just find ones with little snowballs.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading your comments.