Tuesday, February 21, 2012

It's the little things that make me happy


Isn't it amazing what really gets you all fired up?  I have spent several hours over the last few days picking out and printing up fun graphics from The Graphics Fairy to turn into cards to organize my lace yardage.  Speaking of The Graphics Fairy, isn't it awesome how much more beautiful homes, studios, offices, and other spaces all over the world are because of Karen and her unbelievable files?  There must be hundreds of thousands of projects created because she has made it so easy for us to access her treasure trove.  But I digress...below is my almost completed project.



Since things are shaping up in my studio, I've been a busy little bee making pretty containers and dressing up bottles and jars to hold buttons and the huge amount of floatsum that I seem to attract in the name of art.  Lace is something I'm fairly passionate about and, while there is something magical about a huge heap of beautiful lace to dig through, the reality is, you can damage it or just plain not be able to find what you had in mind for a particular project with the piling and digging system of "organization".

So, I began the process of finding cool graphics to make card that the lace could be wrapped around, making it easier to deal with and, naturally, PRETTIER to look at.  I had no idea how much lace I had until I started trying to corral it.  And this, mind you, is only the yardage, not the short little pieces or the very large pieces.


I must say though, I think my goal has been accomplished:  I wanted to have a visual display that not only allowed me easier access for projects, but that made me happy to look at it just as it sits.  I printed on cardstock and then put pretty vintage wallpaper on the back (which I forgot to photograph-bad blogger, no biscuit!), then edged with a little distress ink.  If I were to start over, I'd put the cardstock onto thin cardboard and then add the wallpaper to make it a little more substantial, but it turned out okay as is.


My houseful of boys just ignored my printing and pasting as long as food was tossed in their general direction on a fairly regular basis and the heaps of lace weren't in the footpath.  I've given up trying to get high fives or raves from Mr. FL on this kind of stuff.  He just isn't into it although I think he likes seeing me happy puttering and that counts for something.  Besides, I've got you girls (and even a guy or two) who think this all makes perfect sense, right?


On a related note, my shelves in my studio closet of dreams are installed and painted.  I think I had to do the lace project just to occupy my mind and hands so I wouldn't rush the paint drying process and end up with lots of pretty stuff stuck to my un-cured shelves.  On a very happy note for me, by the time I hit my next day off (day after tomorrow, but who's counting???), I should be able to start loading them up.  I am SOOOOO excited about that.  Do you think it's odd that I asked my husband after the last shelf was painted to join me in the closet for a glass of wine?  No, of course you don't think it's odd, cause you get me, right?  And if you don't, you'll humor me and keep it to yourself cause you guys are nice like that. We dragged a couple of chairs in and spent a little time talking before dinner that night and I was so happy and giddy over the closet (could have been the paint fumes I suppose...).    Well, I'm going to get my little post posted and link up to a party or two.  Why don't you come along?  Digressing again, but is anyone else having to force themselves to get off of Pinterest and actually do something?  Yikes, it's like virtual crack.  Does that make me a crack ho???  Oh well, this too shall settle down, I'm sure.

Until next time,



Linking up with:
White Wednesday
Wow Us Wednesday
Feathered Nest Friday
Vintage Inspiration Friday
Home Sweet Home
At the Picket Fence Inspiration Friday
Thrifty Things Friday
Potpourri Friday
Friday at Redoux
Creative Things Thursday
Saturday Night Special 
Brag Monday

UPDATE:  As a fun aside, look at the cool pic I found on Pinterest.  According to the pinner, it means life is made of small happiness, in other words, it's the little things in life...





Pin It!

52 comments:

  1. What a great way to store your beautiful lace collection. You have so many wonderful types, and each one is more pretty than the last :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! How beautiful!!! What a fabulous collection you have! They look just lovely together now with the cards. :) I love them! It's always so much fun visiting your blog!
    Jennelise

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for storing your lace in a pretty way. Your post made me laugh...my young girls like to check in with me on the blog scene or my crafting stuff but usually they say, "no more vintage, momma". I love how you said the boys were happy as long as you threw food their way. I love that your husband had some wine with you in the newly done closet, so cute!
    I like pinterest, too :)

    ~Shanon

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look beautiful Judy~ I cant wait to see your space when its finished!! xoxo Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh so beautiful!
    You have much more patience than I have. =)

    blessings
    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judy, what an incredible project. Love the idea. Wonderful to be so organized with such style! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love what you did with your lace--so smart! I want to find lace like that to have available for projects and I just don't know where to look. Yours is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Judy dear, THIS is a work of art!! Each one is a little present! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH my word..this is amazingly beautiful!!!!! Totally took my breath away, I bet I will see these stunning images all over Pinterest. I am headed over to this graphics fairy now...I have a thing for this kind of thing, so thank you for the intro! Truly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. GORGEOUS!! Looks like a brocante to moi! it looks magnifique all together...sigh. My lace is wrapped around old book covers. this is soo much prettier! I am going to have to make some! And don't get me STARTED on Pinterest!! (FYI...I did a petite "segment" on the Pinterest Craze for our local news. you can find a link to the segment on my sidebar if you are interested in watching it! ) happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Judy! What a fabulous idea! I think just looking at lace wrapped like that would inspire me to create!! Thank you for sharing!!
    Have a lovely day!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Judy!
    What a great and beautiful idea! I thought I was doing well just to sort my lace into *baskets of different sizes of lace...yours is sooooo much prettier! And isn't it funny how a new project makes us sooo happy?!
    Have fun finishing up...can't wait to see it!
    Rene

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness Judy...I have definitely gotten a real good dose of inspiration here. This is such a beautiful way to keep everything nice, neat, organized and pretty. I think I might just have to be a copy cat...Hee, hee, hee. I am so happy I found your beautiful and inspiring blog. Now off to look around some more. Have a wonderful day.

    Hugs and Kisses,
    Your Newest Follower,
    ♥Ana

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this beautiful project! Little works of art just the way they are!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Boy, do I feel inadiquit now, ha, please come over and organize me like this,
    the way you did this is so pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Prettiest and most romantic lace organization I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful organizing, I'm all about that! I can only imagine your studio space!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is the prettiest lace organization!! I started that project this week as well with a pattern I got off Pinterest. I used script scrapbook paper and glued it to cardboard. If I ever get it done I will post it too. :)
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a sweet idea and I nice way to be organized! I love the little things, too! These little lace holders are magical! You have a nice collection of lace, too! Are we going to get to see your studio? :)

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Judy! I just found your blog and I love it!!! What a great idea to collect all your lace with the french labels from Graphics Fairy! I just recently posted a project with the french labels too! Don't you just love the Graphics Fairy!!? :)
    Maria
    www.rustyhinge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE these so much Judy....I have GOT to organize my lace!!!! Love the graphics so much...xxoo, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  22. Judy I am in LOVE with these!!!
    I would love to sit in your closet and have wine with you!!
    Off to pin...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would love to get my studio organized and do this with my lace that is all living in vintage suit cases and see through boxes.

    I am going to visit The Graphics Fairy and see if i can figure out how to down load these? I am mentally challenged when it comes to learning new things on the internet, really

    I know the wine in the closet was fun

    ReplyDelete
  24. So you're the one snatching up all the laces? JK...This is gorgeous, really. I wish I had this kind of patience, and more of a computer savvy...one day. Found you from 2805, you posted right behind me. I will look around some more. blessings, Lady

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh you are funny,Judy! I love how you've corralled this impressive stash of lace - Graphics Fairy rocks. I would have joined you for wine in the closet, too. Can't wait to see the finished result!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is such a wonderful idea....I love it!!!!! Just beautiful....
    Have a great weekend :o)
    ~Des

    PS. I am now following you on Google....hope
    you will follow me back :o)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fabulous!! I love them....I seen these on Pinterest already :)

    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Aledia

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is a beautiful post! I love your ace collection, it's stunning! I could spend hours just checking out the detail work in every piece! Such tiny art. andrea@townandprairie

    ReplyDelete
  29. Let me just get one thing out of the way first, I am a Pinterest HO and know many others as well, seems to be the in thing to be these days, nothing at all wrong with this...
    I love the way you have organized your beautiful lace. I did the same awhile back but did not use any images, love the idea....
    Thanks for sharing and happy setting up of your new shelves.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow what a wonderful collection! What a pretty graphics ;)

    ReplyDelete
  31. the lace, the lace, i get so peaceful when i see lace. you did fab by organizing all this vintage lace.
    wish i had some, love to put it on most everything. elizabeth
    hope you take the time to check out our site.
    thegreeleygirls.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi,

    so nice to meet you! I am just swooning over these lace tags!!! My jaw just about dropped when I saw them. I have so many pieces from my 91 yr old mother-in-love, and these would be perfect for me. I wrote you an e-mail with some questions. thanks for sharing them with us.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am drooling here. Love what you have done with the vintage laces. It is so lovely and perfect. I am hosting a sweet little vintage petite jar swap for spring, just wondering if you would be interested in checking it out. Your work looks like my studio. Love love it!

      Delete
  33. What a beautiful lace collection. I have been a fan of the graphics fairy for quite a while too. Love how you organized them. Your blog is simply wonderful.

    Hugs
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your beautiful laces are breathtaking! Thank you for sharing your at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a gorgeous project! And such a pretty way to store and display your lace and beautiful trims, too! I so agree, Karen and her stunning images have helped to make the world a prettier place:)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love your cards of lace!1 Such a practical but more importantly beautiful way to store and display your laces. Don't you love that we have the access to such lovely downloads to enhance our spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  37. All I can say is Wow! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  38. UNBELEIVABLE!!!These photo's got my heart pumping for sure!I love that you did this with your sweet vintage laces! Do you have any of them on pinterest yet? I will be looking for them ...XO Christie

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a gorgeous idea for organizing your lace! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  40. This has made me smile and frown. I am smiling at your beautiful lace lovingly wrapped ever so carefully around each piece of pretty card. I however, am frowning at my beautiful collection of antique lace that has somehow sprung to life all on it's own and is wound itself into an awful mess in the pretty white wicker basket that I keep it in ! I can fee a project coming on ! Thanks for the inspiration !

    ReplyDelete
  41. This idea is beautiful, as is your blog. I'm your newest follower :)
    Cas x

    ReplyDelete
  42. You are featured today at Potpourri Friday at 2805!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love, love anything vintage and paper, there is nothing quite as nice as finding new ways to use old things, Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  44. I am working on my creative closet too and this has been one of my projects that I have been wanting to do! Love all the graphics you found!

    ReplyDelete
  45. This is so lovely....and I was wondering what to do to my laces too....I don't have enough space where I have them now.....and I wanted them to be on cardboard too...any then wham....I say yours on pinterest.....this is what I was looking for......I love Graphic Fairy.....and I love your idea here....I can't wait to see what you do with them.....they are to pretty to put in a drawer....so please...please...show us how your going to displayed them....
    thank you for the inspiration.......

    ReplyDelete
  46. Love this idea. Can't wait to try it with my ribbon collection.

    ReplyDelete
  47. What a glorious idea, LOVE IT!!! Just found you via Pinterest and love your blog. I can totally relate to everything you say in this post, re Graphics Fairy and support from family members. Lol, I could have said exactly the same (and I have one daughter as well as two sons, who is not into crafting at all, too bad)

    ReplyDelete
  48. I did this with my own meagre lace collection a few days ago. I just posted the results with a link back here. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I am so copying this!! Absolutely these are works of art with two of my favorite things - lace and the Graphics Fairy :)

    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading your comments.