Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Pitter of Little Patters

Antique Half Doll Hanky Holder and Powder Patter

Powder patters, that is.  I realized it has been a very long time since I shared one of my collections with you.  This is a subset of my rather large 1920's French ribbonwork collection.  During the 1920's and into the 30's, homemakers loved to make things in their home pretty (some things never change, do they?).  As was very fashionable in the day, they would take boudoir items, vanity items, and clothing and add embellishments to them, making lovely flowers out of ribbons.  These ribbons were usually silk and were often incredibly beautiful just by themselves, even before they were manipulated into roses and pansies and other pretty little flowers and leaves.  One of the things that was very fun to jazz up was the common powder puff.  These little powder patters were basically powder puffs on little sticks.



Theoretically, you would apply talcum powder with these little gems, but it is my belief that they were usually far more decorative than something you would use, at least on an every day basis. My collection of these beauties truly makes me smile every time I look at each and every piece.  The care which was put into making these little whimsical what-nots is amazing and, of course, they are SO feminine and pretty that I just swoon over them. 



Puff and Mirror Set
Sometimes, there would be a set of a powder puff and a mirror. I only have one set of the two pieces and they reside on my vanity table.  They other pieces are in an antique curio cabinet along with some other amazing ribbonwork pieces which I may spotlight another time. 


Rare Flapper Porcelain Doll Patter

Pansy Girl~my favorite (shshshsh, don't tell the other girls!)

The pansy girl's dress is a large compartment for maybe hankies and then she holds the little small pansy puff.  I love all of the pieces in my collection, but I'm afraid this is the one that might have to be pried out of my cold dead hands (oh how morbid!) because she just takes my breath away, even with her slight tattiness.

For those of you who love vintage 1940's wallpaper like I do, I've just added some new ones for purchase on my sidebar.  Click the link to see the selection.  Note that all prices are per yard and DO include shipping to the U.S.  International buyers welcome, you just may have to pay the extra to send it to your location. 

If you haven't signed up for my giveaway of Carolyn Westbrook's new book The French Inspired Home,  click here and leave me a comment on THAT POST to be entered.

In the meantime, I'm going to pop on over to Beverly's at How Sweet the Sound to check out all of the fun posts for Pink Saturday.  Join me?

Until next time,

Pin It!

31 comments:

  1. I have never seen these before and I think they are adorable. You have a nice collection.
    I am going to start keeping an eye out for these. Ooh, love them.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen these before, but only online, never in person and I own an antique shop! Your collection is beautiful! I especially like the black and white faced flapper girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. another wonderful collection of yours! powder patters! aren't they just gorgeous! never see one before but now after I've seen it here.. I want to get one! all so beautiful.. the ribbonwork just amazing! trully gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of these before. What a wonderful collection you have, Judy! Thanks for sharing them and the history with us!
    Have a great weekend!
    ~ Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. they are gorgeous..I have never seen those before!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, just beautiful! I love the pink roses on the mirror set.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are just darling, Judy and what a great collection you have. Love all that pretty ribbon!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. O*M*G These are fabulous!!!

    Happy Pink Saturday!
    Back Porch Blessings,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Judy, these are wonderful! I'm a fan of any handwork, and these are truly delightful. Thanks for sharing your girls!
    Happy Pink Saturday! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are quite lovely, I agree though, one would think they were mostly ornamental.

    I enjoyed the calm pictures.
    Have a delightful Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Divine!!! I have never seen these before either!
    I guess a pretty rare item.
    Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Pink Saturday. Thanks for sharing your beautiful powder patters. Loved the daintiness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are truly a work of art...the beauty of homekeeping is alive and well!!
    Happy Pink Saturday to you xOxO Nerina

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never seen them before they are great.They had so many pretty things years ago. Have a great week Laura Q

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG, these are so beautiful and feminine... I collect many different feminine things but I have never seen these before, and you have such a wonderful collection of them... thanks so much for sharing!!! Happy Pink Saturday
    Blessings~~~ Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Judy!
    Goodness this is probably the sweetest collection I've ever seen! I adore vintage ribbonwork and am in awe of the creative talents of these Victorian ladies!
    Thank you for sharing your collection!!
    I have another giveaway going if you'd like to stop by and take a peek :-)
    Happy Pink Saturday on Sunday!!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have one of these-not so beautiful-never knew what it was-awesome collection!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful and delicate pinks you've got there, I love them! Happy belated Pink Saturday :)
    Smiles,
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello :) These are quite lovely; I've never heard or seen anything like these before...what an amazing collection you have of them! My favorite is the 2 piece set in the soft pink; just beautiful! I also love the gorgeous embroidered lace you have them displayed on :)

    Have a great upcoming week!

    Warmest hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  20. OH! I absolutly love these! I have been buying antiques for over 20 years and I never new these exsisted!! They are quite beautiful! I especially love the porcelain doll ones!! I have to look out for these next time I am antiquing. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. They are just lovely.. I love the ribbonwork. Beautiful blog you have here Judy. I am now a follower..
    Blessings,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is brilliant!! Sorry for the late PS hello.. crazy work weekend I have.. but what a truly amazing post.. way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Judy
    How sweet of you to visit.. Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so happy you enjoyed viewing.
    Blessings,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  24. I didn't know you were on etsy!!!!!
    omgoodness ... your pillows are dreamy ....
    but remember I didn't spend a dime!

    oh how I would love ...

    of course, the most expensive one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. ~**~ Those are beautiful!!! Your blog is great too..I put you on my blogroll!! Hugs, Rachel ~*~*

    ReplyDelete
  26. THese are beautiful. For many years my mother covered the back of mirrors with cloth and lace. I am trying to visit as many of the Pinks as I can this week to let you know I have reached my 100th blog. For some that seems like nothing but for me, well, I never thought I would be able to find enough that would interest others! SOOOO please come by and visit for my give away. Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Judy,

    I love all your sweet powder puffs and wouldn't it be lovely to know who were the owners of these.
    Such exquisite ribbon work and thanks for showing us.

    Happy week
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  28. I adore these powder puffs, what a lovely collection of them you have! Each one a beautiful work of Art.

    Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a lovely collection ~ each is exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Judy, These are adorable and you have such a lovely collection. I have never seen these before but now I am on the search.
    xo, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey Rebecca,

    I keep trying to send you a comment on your blog. Either it is going to a file to wait for your approval and it isn't saying so, in which case you will have 3 or 4 from me (pick your favorite!lol) or it is lost in cyberspace. Anyway, hope you get the message that I wanted to say hello.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading your comments.