Monday, July 11, 2011

Just checking in...and some garden tour pics

Hi Blogging Friends,

It's been a long time...how are you?  I am just taking a little moment to check in so you don't think I've fallen off of the planet.  I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that our garden was on a garden tour at the end of June.  It was a lot of work getting ready for it, especially since it was the weekend immediately following the mutha of all garage sales (which went well, by the way...YAY!), but it was worth it.  Now we get to enjoy our beautiful yard SANS junk and clutter for the rest of the summer.  I thought I'd share several photos of our home and outdoor space since I don't think I've ever done that before.  I didn't spend much (any) time sprucing up the pictures, so they are pretty much straight off the camera.  Award winning photos....well, not this time, but I really want to get a post out there before I have to move on to my next project for the day. :-)

On our front porch by the door, this sweet angel welcomes you. 


Also sharing space on the front porch is my antique European goat cart that is carrying a huge geranium that my husband overwintered from last year.  Yes, that is ONE pot!



As you look at the side of the house, you see the meandering flagstone path taking you to our backyard and large gazebo type covered deck.



My husband's attempt at being artsy.  I like it!  Cute AND Zen inspired!



Asiatic Lily


Rocky Mountain Blue Columbines, one of our favorites...



Daylilies


One of my favorites, lavender, with a little concrete bunny peaking out.


Another "critter"


My favorite spot to hang out all summer long in the form of our outdoor living room.  Pardon the pillow in disarray, but apparently Mazie the cat didn't like it the way I had it.  She says, "Meow" to mommy's blogging pals.


My shelf holding several of my mosaic pieces as well as an old quilt which has on more than one occasion been used to wrap up in as one or more napped on the couch.  I love decorating my outdoor space just like an indoor space.  It makes for a very cozy and welcoming spot for friends and family alike.




One of my favorite projects, a chandelier dewired, rusted up with my favorite Sophisticated Finishes patina solution, topped with glass globes, blinged up with some old chandelier crystals, and filled with little fresh flower posies.  I usually have candles in them, but dressed it up this way for the garden tour since it was during the day, obviously.  My husband and kids think I'm weird to have a chandlier outside, but I know you gals get it, don't you?  Of course you do!




 My little collection of old vases and flowers pots.  Most of them are McCoy, but some are just unknown beauties.  I don't generally plant any flowers in them just because with our extremely dry climate, you have to water little pots like these probably twice a day and that just doesn't fit in with my life right now.  It's okay though, I enjoy them just as is.



I call our house "Doodlehaven".  It's really just a joke, but one time I was working an estate sale for a family that was from back east, old money.  We were looking at the family's album of old pictures and their history and we noticed that people that have money always have a name for their home.  These were very stately sounding names like "Pine Crest" or "Ravenswood", you get the picture.  Anyway, we of lesser means began giving our own homes names.  My boss lives in a 30's Tudor style bungalow and she said her house could be "Tudorcrest" or something like that.  I said my momma used to call me "Doodle" when I was a little girl, so my house would be "Doodlehaven".  I got some very pretty cracked china from the estate sale, one of which had been purchased from Tiffanys so I had to make a mosaic nameplate for the house.  And there you have it.   Doodlehaven.




Thanks for stopping by and taking a little mini tour of our outdoor space.  



We're in the middle of ripping out the nasty carpet that was in our upstairs.  Every room, carpet glued to the 100+ year old hardwood floors.  Yes, I said GLUED.  Can you imagine?  Anyway, when we bought the house, we were told the floors upstairs were in "pretty rough condition".  Well, after removing the nasty carpet, scrapping rubber backing, and sanding it down (one room down, 3 to go, plus a hallway and stairs), it looks pretty darn good.  I can't even guess when I'll have pictures for you, but I will share some, I promise.  I guess you know what I'll be doing instead of blogging!

Until next time,

Pin It!

19 comments:

  1. ....ooohhhh puuuuurty!!!
    swooning over the garden chandie:)

    xo, Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have loved to be on your garden tour! Things look so pretty, comfy, and welcoming. Too many bugs and flies out here to decorate outside. I have a dairy next door. ♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, your garden is gorgeous! Thank you for the incredible tour!
    Have a wonderful week!
    XXX Ido

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Judy,

    How lovely to see your beautiful home and garden, it is wonderful, thanks for the tour.
    Love the name you have given your home and how it came about.
    I know how beautiful your wooden floors will come up, we did the same to our last house.

    Have a wonderful week
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. How are you Judy? I am happy that I stopped by for a tour of your beautiful outdoor spaces this evening....love it all especially the vintage pottery (which I collect as well:-)! xo, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Judy! It was so fun to see your garden tour. I did a garden tour on my blog a few posts back, too! How fun to name your home and have a mosaic to show off the name! I love to decorate the outside as well, I love your porch. Fun to read your blog knowing you are close by!

    ~Shanon

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a treat to view your home and garden. I love the chandelier with the sweet flowers and all the pretty colors on your porch.
    I completely understand not having time to blog with all the projects. I've been trying to work on some that I've been neglecting for the last 2 yrs.
    My niece coming for 2 wks this october has me motivated.

    xx
    Carole
    ps....hubby gets the award to the best winter-over plant:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. pss
    my fil used to call my husband chick when he was young.....so would chickhaven be a good name for your house? lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Judy everything thing is beautiful about your outdoor living! I adore your pottery collection!


    xoxo

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Judy!
    Your outdoor spaces are so beautiful!!
    Love your porch...I'm going back for a second look!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE your porch! And yes, we *get* it...it is all so beautiful...flowers and all.
    ttys
    Rene

    ReplyDelete
  12. liebe Judy, die Veranda ist gemütlich....
    schöne Dekoration zum Wohlfühlen, der kleine Holzwagen mit Blumen....
    liebe Grüße von Jasmin

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's good to see a post from you, Judy. What a beautiful outdoor garden tour, and I love your porch area. 'Doodlehaven' is heaven!
    Thanks for the lovely tour,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love, love, love your porch and flowers. How gorgeous. I would love and older home that has so much charm the new ones don't. Hard work you are doing, but I know it will look wonderful. Love your photography.

    ReplyDelete
  15. very lovely living space and gardens. You are blessed! I love what you did with the silver teapots...that gives me some ideas! I also love the chandelier with the flowers inside. LOVE......XXX OOO Hugs and Tweets!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Judy,
    I am a New Follower~ I LOVE the idea of a Outside room! and yours is so welcoming! Thanks for sharing your beautiful Outdoors and good luck, have fun with those hardwood floors!!

    Nancy
    coeurdalenegifts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love those flowers. Your porch is so pretty! I love all that pottery. Looks like McCoy to me. That Tiffany bit really makes that whole mosaic!

    ~Mikey @ Shabby French Cottage
    www.shabbyfrenchcottage.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey girl...I'm so happy I stopped by. Flowers always make me smile...so does yellow.
    It all looks beautiful and at least you have some place pretty to come sit when you need a break from those floors...ugh!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  19. Seeing your garden makes me want to go over there and get some tea! Haha! It is really wonderful! Those vibrant flowers and greens make it look more peaceful and give a refreshing atmosphere to your garden. It’s a good place to go after doing some heavy house chores. Cheers!

    Terry Holt @ LandTech Landscaping

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading your comments.