Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas Peppermint Tablescape 2011


Merry Christmas Blogland!  My table is set and ready to let the overeating begin!  LOL!  My table is an uncharacteristically whimsical one this year.  The inspiration came from these ribbon candy trees from Hobby Lobby.  I saw them in late November and my initial plan was to replicate them with polymer clay, but then a short time ago, they were on such a good sale that I decided I could just purchase 2 and call it a day.


I found the mesh at Hobby Lobby and cut a length of it to use as a runner over my ubiquitous antique white damask tablecloth.  I wanted to reinforce the theme of the candy canes and red and white with a touch of green, but I didn't want another tablecloth to purchase (or store), so this was a great alternative.


I've always enjoyed setting a pretty table, but as far as "tablescaping", I feel like I'm a newbie, but one thing I think is key to being easy on your budget:  it doesn't seem to matter as much what elements you pull together as long as they are thematic or related by color.   Obviously, in my case, the theme was red, white, and a little green peppermint candy, but I added little sparkly snowflake confetti in red and white and some ribbon that I already had was used for the chair backs and the peppermint placecards.    Both of these were appropriate in color and, due to the fact that the ribbon had sparkly snowflakes on it, it also related back to the little snowflakes scattered on the table.  Does that make sense?  You don't have to be too literal in your theme, just have some thread of continuity flowing through each piece whether by color, broad subject, or both, and you'll look all put together.  



The napkins are antiques that I've had for a few years.


A little glass from the china cabinet stuffed with bright green shred which I had saved from some kind of package and almost threw away because after several months, I had never used it.  HA!  Glad I had it because it came in handy.  LOVE when things finally work out per plan, don't you?


Stacked an ironstone butter dish on top of an ironstone cake plate (yes, they are both antique, don't hate...). I think for Christmas Day, I'll replace the balls and glass garlands with peppermint bark.


The little white candles I had already and I put them in French tart pans.  A little sparkly faux snow (tying back to both the food and the snowflakes) to catch any drips and call it done.


I've never had chargers before and didn't want to pay $1.99 each for them at Hobby Lobby, but then I went to WalMart and found them for .99.  Much better.  Found the adorable peppermint candle used in the centerpiece there as well for half price ($4 I think?).

So, here's the breakdown of this budget friendly (at least I think so) tablescape:

6 chargers                           Walmart               $5.88
Peppermint candle               Walmart               $4
Roll of Red & White Mesh  Hobby Lobby       $5
5 assorted picks                  Hobby Lobby       $3.50 I think; they were half price
2 ribbon candy trees            Hobby Lobby       $12
Glittered Snowflakes           Walmart                $.97
Everything else was already in my possession, so no additional cost (yay!), so the grand total is $31.35.  I know some of you gals could have done this for $5, but I think that for minimal effort and a minimum of looking for bargains, I'm pretty happy with the result.  Also, now I have added a few things to my "decor stash", so next year, even less to buy (that's what I told hubs anyway...).



This will be my last post of the year, so from my home to yours, have a very beautiful and bright holiday season with friends and loved ones and I'll see you in 2012.

Until next time,


Linking up with Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch,
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home,
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground,
Potpourri Friday at 2805,
Saturday Night Special at Funky Junk.
Pin It!

22 comments:

  1. Your table looks lovely and very festive. I know that your guests will love it.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute table...and the price tag to put it all together is remarkable!!! The mesh table runner is a really great idea! Merry Christmas to you and your family, and have a safe and joyous New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...a candyland delight!
    the sugarplum princess would feel right at home:)

    merriest christmas to you sweets!
    xo, Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's all just beautiful! Love that precious centerpiece most of all!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy, This is just delightful. It is fun and kinda fancy but not at all formal feeling. My kiddos would love to sit down at this table. You did a great job and I LOVE those little peppermint trees. I didn't see those here in our HL at all. Your centerpiece is darling- Merry Christmas, sweet Judy! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is AMAZING!!!! Love how whimsical yet super elegant it is.....what a beautiful table to sit down to on Christmas day, pure magic!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your table is darling--looks so festive and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that was a good sale on the little trees from HL! Cute ideas here for a red and white table! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty! Those little trees are adorable and I love your centerpiece! :) Merry Christmas!
    Jennelise

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks fabulously-sweet!
    Merry Christmas!!
    :)
    ~Becca~

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute and whimsical... and inspiring! Thank you for sharing. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful! Have a Merry Christmas with you Friends & Family!

    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely, whimsical and festive! Everything looks so nice and I love all the peppermints.
    Have a Merry Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your tablescape is so lovely and festive! I love it!

    Thank you for sharing this beautiful post at Potpourri Friday! Have a very Merry Christmas and wonderful Holiday Season!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty and cheerful. Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. merry christmas from angie (germany)

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMGosh Judy...that looks so fun and festive!
    Hope you had a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Judy!
    Love this table, very whimsical! Those trees are adorable, and the vintage napkins are perfect!
    Hope to see more of your tables in the new year. Have a great holiday week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey there Judy!Enchanting. The pictures made me stare. You seem to have a gift. The table, peppermint trees, so fascinating. You must have had great Christmas:)Oh and wish you all a great year ahead!
    Antique Furnture

    ReplyDelete
  20. Judy,
    What a happy and fun table...I love how you used what you had to add to the look. Actually, I enjoyed all of your Christmas decorations...from the bits of red to the tags with the christmas song...Hope your Christmas was wonderful!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Una decoracion con mucho gusto y el arbol rojo, genial.
    Un abrazo
    Maite

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your blog is really wonderfull. I'm a new follower from Italy
    Desi of Creattivando
    http://desidero-creare.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading your comments.